Montgomery Architects - Chartered Architects, Oxford

Montgomery Architects - Projects

ST BIRINUS SCHOOL DIDCOT

Extension to Dining Hall

In the spring of 2011 Montgomery Architects were successful in winning the competition set by St Birinus School for the design of their dining hall extension.

The original dining facilities were built in the 1950's when the schools population was less than half its present size. The facilities were well used for a number of years, however the situation left little scope to increase pupil throughput, and with the current number of pupils and the increased demand for hot lunches, this was an issue which the school urgently sought to address.

It was key that the build was within the schools tight budget, and with this in mind the proposal was to construct a single storey extension of simple steel post construction with rendered cavity block walls. Canted beams span from the existing structure to from a gently sweeping roof with generous eaves to the two sides of the building. The fenestration to the front of the building comprises of four double glazed fire escape doors with fan lights above echoing the line of the existing windows of the Art block beyond.

In order to increase the amount of natural daylight and also natural ventilation into the dining hall, the design incorporates new casements into the existing building directly above the sweeping roof of the extension. On the east elevation, the fenestration has been designed to harness natural daylight whilst retaining privacy from the car park by means of a projecting bay with fully glazed panels at each end.

The contract was carried out by Beard Ltd and the project was successfully completed in the summer of this year.

Picture Gallery

Back

Dining Hall Extension